Thursday, March 8, 2012

Welcome!

Hi Everybody!


This is my first blog, and I am excited to share it with you. I don't really know what I am doing, so thanks for being patient. I guess I should start with a short introduction?

Ok.. here goes...

My name is Katy. I have a few passions that I would like to share with you via this blog. I hope you will join me.



Crochet

Monarch Caterpillars

Books

Crochet
First, I am really into crochet. Yes, I don't have much time for it, but I do have lots of yarn and lots of coooollll patterns that I would the time to work on. *Sigh* Someday... Anyways, I have been crocheting since about third grade when I learned to chain. My first projects included chained necklaces, and Cat's Cradle strings. Yep.
Throughout the past decade or so, my skill has increased immensely. I have taught many young kids to crochet as well as several of my friends. I plan on posting some of my creations as well as cool patterns on my blog to share with you. Also- I am on Ravelry and you are welcome to see some of my projects there as well. For those of you who are crafters- Ravelry is a cool site with loads of free patterns and other crafters from all over the world. It is free and easy to use. You can connect with other crafters and get really cool pattern ideas. They also have groups to help you if you get stuck on a pattern. You should check it out. I wish I was as creative as some people are. Oh, well. Maybe their genius will rub off a little? Ok- yes, this is weird- but I really want to add in a picture. :) I like taking photos of things. Here is my crocheted bumblebee (see below).

Crocheted BumbleBee
ooo. That was easy.  :)

Monarch Butterflies (and nature)
Ok. Now on to my second big passion that I hope you share with you through the use of this blog: My Monarch Butterfly Waystation. My passion for butterflies- Monarchs specifically started in the third grade when I helped nurse an injured Monarch. I did not know then that that event would be the beginning of my love for Monarchs or that I would have a long line of other injured Monarchs within the next several years. Anyway, that was when it started and now I have a big love for them. I am a part of Monarch Watch- a non-profit organization at the University of Kansas that concentrates on studying, conserving, and restoring the Monarch butterfly population. Monarch Watch has set up a Waystation program which I participate in. A waystation is a safe place for Monarchs to complete their entire life cycle. I have a sign in my butterfly garden which includes host plants for the eggs and caterpillars as well as nectar-filled flowers for the butterflies and other insects. In the summer, when I have caterpillars, they become my babies. My pride and joy. I become obsessed with documenting their every wiggle. Last year- the summer of 2011, I had 30 Monarch caterpillars at one time. I also love photographing the butterflies, dragonflies, other butterflies, swallowtail caterpillars and my colorful flowers. Stay tuned for many posts of my garden this summer. :)

Monarch Butterfly (above)
Swamp Milkweed (bottom)

Oh. We also have a small homemade pond in our yard. We have a small population of toads and frogs which I also like to photograph. Just a warning... haha.

Books
Thirdly, I love to read. I want to continue on to library school to become a Children's Librarian. When I read some good books, I may mention them on here. Hey, when I enjoy something, I love to share that enjoyment with others. But that doesn't mean that you have to like it or read it. Also, I am not a big movie/t.v. person, but I do have a few favorites. Might post about those eventually too.



Cleo, my puppy
And lastly, besides just posting about random goings-on in my life, I will probably post many pictures of my adorable puppy, Cleopatra. Cleo is, currently, a 9 month old Yellow Labrador Retriever. She is quite smart for her age and very well behaved. Labs are generally known for their destructive chewing. However, Cleo hasn't really been destructive yet. Knock. On. Wood. haha. We'll see how long this lasts. :)

Cleopatra

Also, just because Cleo fits into several topics (and is a great photo subject) you will probably meet her soon. She likes to steal my yarn, watch t.v. (especially Harry Potter with my sister) and pull up weeds in the yard. Now I just need to teach her to read. haha. :)

Anyway, I guess that is a little bit about what you will be getting into if you decide to read my blog. Good Luck with that. Thanks for dropping by, and I hope to see you again soon. :)


Peace,
Katy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by. Have a lovely day. :)